The grass fire quickly spreads to the garage

0

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI) – At 4:38 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, the Idaho Falls Fire Department responded to a structural fire that initially started as an exterior fire at the 1400 block of Ashment Avenue in Idaho Falls. J

The address was later updated to the 1300 block of Elizabeth Circle, near the intersection of Ashment Avenue and Nixon Avenue, just west of the College of Eastern Idaho (CEI).

The reporting party told Idaho Falls/Bonneville County Emergency Communications Officers (dispatchers) that there was a grass fire that was rapidly spreading to garages located in an alley between apartment buildings. dwelling. The call was escalated to a structural fire and additional fire apparatus were dispatched.

When firefighters arrived at the single-storey garage, the fire had spread to the middle garage located within the four-unit garage structure. The wind was pushing the fire north to the adjoining garage units, but firefighters were able to bring the flames under control and extinguish the fire. The IFFD has asked officers from the Idaho Falls Police Department to respond to close Ashment Avenue and Nixon Avenue to block traffic and make room for firefighters and personnel to work. CEI security also assisted by closing the college’s Ashment Avenue entrance as a safety precaution.

The tenant of the unit told IFFD staff that he was using a grinder near the garage when a spark accidentally ignited in the grass. He tried to put out the fire, but the dry grass and the wind quickly spread the fire.

No civilians or first aiders were injured.

Damage is estimated at approximately $120,000 for the structure and $40,000 for the contents inside the structure. Although most of the fire was contained in the middle garage, there was structural or smoke damage to each of the four units in the garage. IFFD’s Fire Prevention and Investigations Division also responded to conduct a full investigation of the fires.

IFFD reminds the community to take great care when working with equipment to ensure work is carried out in a safe manner and in a location away from anything that can catch fire, especially in hot weather , dry and windy.

Share.

Comments are closed.