Communities in Georges River will be able to apply for disaster recovery assistance through a scheme jointly funded by the Australian Government and state and territory governments.
The Federal Government announced yesterday that the Georges River Local Government Area will be included in Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Agreements (DRFAs), following severe storms and flooding from the February 22, 2022.
Mayor Nick Katris acknowledged the support and encouraged affected local people and businesses to seek help from the DRFA.
“I thank the Australian and NSW Governments for their swift decision to include Georges River in the Flood Recovery and Relief Programme.
“DRFA assistance includes support for individuals, businesses, and nonprofit organizations.
“This is much needed help, as the Georges River Council is helping with immediate recovery, responding to emerging needs and helping to build community resilience.
“The floods have been devastating for so many people, we want to spread this support in our communities as far as possible.”
In response to storms and floods, DRFA assistance was activated in 45 communes, including Georges River.
It provides assistance to individuals, through:
- Immediate assistance, which aims to meet the basic emergency needs of people directly affected by the disaster.
- Essential Household Contents Grants, which will contribute to the replacement cost of essential household items to maintain a basic standard of living.
- Essential Structural Home Repairs Grants, which provide a contribution towards essential structural repairs to low-income homeowners.
Support for small businesses, non-profits and primary producers:
- Primary Producer Restoration Grants – up to $75,000 is available for primary producers who have suffered direct damage to help cover eligible clean-up and restoration costs.
- Recovery Grants for Small Businesses and Nonprofits – up to $50,000 for those who suffered direct damage to help cover eligible cleanup and restoration costs.
- Small Business and Primary Producer Concessional Interest Loans – Loans of $130,000 at a fixed concessional interest rate for small businesses and primary producers.